Saturday 8 May 2010

24: Meeting Lucy again..

In the spring of 1997 the CGF send me the contact details for a young woman with TS who lived in Surrey. She was the same age as me. She lived a short train journey away so I telephoned her to meet up.

I was extremely excited about this meeting Lucy. It was great to have another woman with TS so near to where I lived who I could meet up with regularly.
One Saturday I waited outside a train station looking for a lady who looked how Lucy described herself. I saw a woman who did and we introduced ourselves. We went for a coffee and started telling each other about our lives.

It was a lovely sunny day so we sat out in a park where we ate the sandwiches which we had brought for lunch. I was sure that it was Lucy that I had meet when I was about 12. I asked her but she was not sure. We met up with my sister who was then working near where Lucy lived.

When we spoke again that evening Lucy confirmed that we had met and talked about the picture her mum took of us.

Over that summer we exchanged many letters and telephone calls. We had a lot to discuss when the David Skuse controversy broke that summer (more of which anon!). I sent Lucy copies of the press coverage, some of which amused her considerably. We agreed to go to the Turner’s Syndrome international conference in Coventry in July that year.
Of all the friends I have with TS my friendship with Lucy is the most significant and the one which has changed my life. She has encouraged me in so many ways. I am so grateful that she has been part of my live for the past thirteen years.

No comments:

Post a Comment