Sunday 9 February 2014

61. 10 'Classic' acts I don't care for

1.Rolling Stones- Ok I like some of their 66-67 material such as Ruby Tuesday and She’s a rainbow…. But!  I will only say that my favourite Rolling Stone by several miles is Charlie Watts because he has been happily and loyally married to his wife Shirley for 50 years and doesn’t care for the level of fame he has achieved. Really don’t care for the way the rest of the band treat their partners

2. Pink Floyd- again a caveat in that I like some of the Syd Barrett period material but they set the standard for what I term ‘moan rock’ – i.e. self pitying privileged white middle class guys thinking they have so many problems
3. David Bowie- just don’t get it. Kudos however for spotting Luther Van Dross
4. The Smiths/Morrissey- what Morrissey says about Motown and Stevie Wonder especially gets him a spot on this list.

5. Radiohead- again Moan Rock. I think of their music then the most joyous life affirming gig I ever went to by Mary Love who had a truly appalling childhood, was widowed at a young age with a young family and had to deal with depression. She completely put Thom Yorke to shame in my book. The use of Radiohead’s ‘exit music’ in the final episode of Fr. Ted sums it all up better than I ever could
6. Oasis- Al I will say is that considering Noel Gallagher stole a couple of George Harrison titles he learned chuff all from George’s humility, sense of perspective and kindness to others. Love the fact that George made his thoughts about the band public! And Noel’s comments about Pet Sounds  would earn him a place here (yo- the Beatles- that band you love ripping off, all love the album!)
7. Blur- Ok they are/were more musically inventive that Oasis, and kudos to Damon Albarn for issuing world music, reissuing Candy Stanton album and working with Bobby Womack (but I agree with Peter Young!) but he always looks a bit too pleased with himself

8.  Led Zepplin- OK Robert Plant and John Paul Jones may have redeemed by championing /working with several female artists from around the world. But still….

9. Coldplay - YAWN
10. White Stripes- Now there is a band I love which comprises of an ex married couple where the woman drums, has a charismatic man singing his soul out and has a strong blues influence – that band is Quasi. Sam Coombs would never marry a supermodel
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment