Sunday 2 April 2023

Some thoughts- April 2023

This is just some thoughts I need to share

As well as my medical treatment as a teenager I had to deal with a traumatic experience when I was 12 (if anyone wants me to elaborate- contact me)- for years I kept it to myself until I had what I recognise as a breakdown when I was around 14.

When I was in my latish 30’s (ie around time I set up this blog)I started getting interested in radical feminism. Its been a long journey but this is a journey which has been vitally important to me .

Rather than victim blaming me, dismissing what had happened to me or not wanting to discuss my experiences, Radical feminism and other feminists let me know that my feelings matter and are valid and I have a right to discuss and name what happened to ne. Radical feminism and other feminists showed me that millions of women and girls have had to deal with such behaviour and there is a power in naming and calling out male sexual and physical violence.

Radical feminism and other feminists never shamed me or made me feel less for my decision to remain single and to not (apart from one notable exception) engage in relationships with men. It actually affirmed and supported my decision.

When I was being subjected to misogynistic bullying in the workplace, rather than merely telling me to ‘keep my chin up’ Radical feminism helped me understand what was happening and gave me the strength to get through it.

Radical feminism gave me a space to connect with other women and heal and to show solidarity with women in far, far worse situations.

Radical feminism is helping to heal me, rather than silence and dismiss my experiences and those of other women and girls.

I actually feel more anger on behalf of other women who do far, far more than me who have to deal with a regular torrent of abuse and smears and misogynistic bullying. They show much grace.

There are so many inspiring, courageous feminist activists out there, from so many different backgrounds and countries. They deserve nothing but love and solidarity. And also some wonderful men truly respect and understand women.

I am just so tired of seeing other women getting no platformed, loosing their jobs or opportunities, being harassed and smeared, victim blamed and subjected to threats and even physically attacked in the name of ‘inclusivity’

I am tired of seeing women’s meetings being harassed, intimated and shut down. I am tired of those who attend such meetings being subjected to abuse. There is no ‘both sides are as bad as each other’. The call to ‘be kind’ is being addressed at those who are being attacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment