Saturday 20 March 2010

11: Hormones pt.3- Feeling positive about HRT


As I discussed in a previous post many women with TS have a difficult relationship with HRT.
Many women do not like the effect HRT has on their weight. Some do not like the effect of taking progesterone. Some believe their bodies will look after themselves if left to themselves.

Some women find it frustrating to have to try several different types of HRT before they reach the right dose and find it hard to explain the issues they may have to their GP/Consultant.

I must admit to having severe misgivings. I have been on one brand of HRT them moved to another then back to the brand I was originally on. I have concerns about what the long term implications of taking HRT are.

However I have decided that for me taking HRT can be something which can be a positive action. I want to look after myself and give myself the best opportunity to be healthy when I get old. I have had periods off HRT and felt incredibly run down. I also have a slightly thinning of my hip bones. While it is my consultant that prescribed me HRT, it is my decision to take it. I base my decision on what I know from my experience and medical research. I accept the risks.

It would help if consultants could actually make the time to discuss with women what their concerns are and show the benefits of HRT. Women with TS in my experience are an intelligent bunch and keep themselves informed. We do not take any decision to do with our treatment lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment