Thursday 11 June 2020

We may be locked down but every day has the happiness of each other’s presence.

I walk by your door in the morning and you stand in the doorway and smile. I wish you good morning, wishing the best to you and all the loved ones who share your home and life. You always hold a cup of coffee in your hand. I know it means you wish things were as they were, that we were actually sitting in a café as we are wont to do! I smile to let you know you are not alone in this wish. I smile to let you know your loved ones are precious to me for the happiness they have brought you.

You walk by my door in the afternoon. I smile to let you know that your presence has brought joyful hours to this house, that these people I love that this home contains miss you too and wish for your presence too. Know they send you and yours their good wishes. I see you smile to let me know that you find this strange distance in closeness painful too.

We know we share worries about our loved ones far away. We knew the journey we are on wold take us physically far from them if not emotionally

Of course we will talk and laugh and share over the phone later. We will share silences and quiet moments as usual. We will laugh and delight in this friendship we share.

But oh how I miss the reassurance of you standing alongside me. How I miss you hand on my shoulder letting me know all will be well. I miss walking together. I miss us observing the world together, little looks exchanged and ideas noted.

Our friendship will stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment